We continued with immunisation and reproductive health programmes in addition to taking health services nearer to the people. We rehabilitated several health units, including referral hospitals such as Hoima and Arua.We started on rehabilitation of Mulago Hospital and constructed new NatioNal resistaNce movemeNt general hospitals, namely:
- Kiruddu Hospital in Makindye Division
- Kawempe Hospital in Kawempe Division
- Buliisa Hospital in Buliisa District.
The various referral and general hospitals rehabilitated or newly built will help in decongesting Mulago National Referral Hospital. During the next five years, focus will be put on efficiency and effectiveness in delivery of health services. In particular, the NRM will:
- Continue with investments in health infrastructure.
- Increase availability of drugs in health facilities.
- Consolidate immunisation and increase the HIV/AIDS awareness campaign and access to ARVs.
- Increase efforts to eradicate malaria.
- Intensifythefightagainst non-communicablediseasessuchascancer and diabetes.
- Introduce the Universal Health Insurance Scheme and an ambulance service.
- Focus on reducing both maternal and infant mortality rates and address the human resource requirements in the sector.
- Educating society on preventive measures.